I absolutely love love love this craft idea.
You have all seen the sharpie and the mug tutorial. Well this one has a bit of a zig to it. I did this back in November. Scarlett was napping for 3 hours so it was perfect.
I just love this simple craft. It makes such a great gift Due to the glitter content my husband loved it a lot less.
- Sharpie (colour optional)
- Painters Tape
- paint brush
- tray (optional)
1. Write your message on your cup. If you don’t like what you wrote I use nail polish remover and start again.
2. Once you’re happy with your message, bake it in the oven. I put the mug in the oven for 30 mins at 350. I put the mug in the oven before I even turn it on and leave it in until the mug is completely cooled.
3. Once your mug is cool, make sure your mug is clean.
4. Add a line of painters tape where you’d like your glitter to stop.
5. Brush a coat of decoupage onto the mug in the sports where you’d like the glitter.
6. Pour glitter over mug until well coated.
7. Remove painters tape immediately, but DO NOT TOUCH THE GLITTER.
8. Set the cup non-glitter side down to dry overnight (the instruction say 1-2 hours but I’d rather be safe than sorry for the first coat)
9. Brush loose pieces of glitter off the cup.
10. Add a coat of decoupage only over the glittered area. Let it dry 1-2 hours (as per directions on the bottle).
11. Add a second coat of decoupage. Yup, you guessed it, let it dry for 1 -2 hours (as per directions on the bottle).
12. Let the mug cure a week before using it.
The directions on the bottle say that once your mug has cured for 28 days it will be top rack dishwasher safe, though in my experience hand washing these sort of items is the safest approach. I also wouldn’t recommend putting the mug in the microwave.