My daughters LOVES avocados, I mean loves them! It was the first food she ever tasted. If I let her, she would sit in her high chair and eat avocados all day! Now they aren’t the cheapest food to buy, but they are extremely healthy! Pros and Cons. I will spend the money on good food, as long it is healthy.
My husband and I are re building a really old shed in our backyard into a green house (that is another entry in it’s self). We want to grow as much of our own food as possible for many many reasons.
I stumbled across this ‘pin’ on how to grow an avocado plant from a seed! Well this just seems too good to be true! But it really isn’t costing me any more and if this seed fails, I’ll try the next one!
What you need to get started:
1. Cut open the avocado – carefully. Do not cut through the seed.
2. Clean. Wash any remaining avocado meat off the seed
3. Find the bottom. The bottom of an avocado is wider and has a bump or might be lighter colour.
4. Insert toothpicks. insert 3 toothpicks into the seed about 1/4″ deep. Be careful that you don’t insert them into the centre.
5. Rest in the cup of water. Rest the seen in a glass of water using the toothpicks to keep the top of the seed above the water.
6. Wait and water. Now we wait. In a few weeks, the seed will grow a root from the bottom, the seen will crack, and a small shoot will grow out of the top.
Make sure you change the water weekly. Keep in a sunny spot and watch the magic happen!
Be sure to check back in a couple weeks on how to transplant your little creation into a pot.